OUR MEDIEVAL SIDE
The Legend of
Gelert was a hunting hound, given by King John to his son-in-law, Prince Llewellyn in the year 1205, and quickly became a favorite hound of the Prince.
One day, while out on a hunt, the Prince realized that Gelert was missing. When the Prince returned home, he found Gelert lying by the body of his young child. The child had been knocked out of his overturned cradle and mauled to death. Gelert was covered in blood.
Glad to see his master, Gelert ran up to the Prince. Overcome with rage, the Price draw his sword and speared the dog which has killed his child. Gelert dropped to the ground, dying instantly.
Too late, the Prince heard shouting from the house. The Child's Nanny was running toward him,frantically waving at him to stop. The Nanny had left the child unattended for a moment, and when she returned a wolf had knocked the cradle over. From out of the bushes leapt Gelert who bravely
fought and killed the larger wolf, but it was too late to save the baby. Looking over at the courtyard, the Prince saw the prone body of the wolf, and then noticed that Gelert's body was covered in wounds. Gelert was not covered with the blood of the baby, but the blood of the wolf.
The Prince buried his faithful hound. Gelert's grave can still be found today, at Beddgelert, North Wales.
· THROUGHOUT HISTORY, GREYHOUNDS HAVE ALWAYS ENJOYED A PRIVILEGED LIFE.
· THEY WERE ADMIRED FOR THEIR SPEED AND GRACE
· THE FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE LEFT THOUSANDS OF GREYHOUNDS HOMELESS AND WANDERING THE COUNTRYSIDE
· THE IRISH, WHO HAVE ALWAYS HELD DOGS, AND IN PARTICULAR, THE GREYHOUNDS, IN HIGH REGARD. BY LAW, THEY WERE CONSIDERED SEMI-RATIONAL BEINGS, WITH RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES.
· AT THIS TIME, IF YOU WILL RECALL, THE CHURCH AND STATE CAME INTO CONFLICT IN MANY COUNTRIES. IN THE EYES OF THE ROYALTY, THE CHURCH WAS BECOMING TOO POWERFUL AND TOO RICH. AMONG THE PRIZED POSSESSIONS OF MANY RELIGIOUS LEADERS WERE THE GREYHOUNDS.
· SO CAME TO BE THE "FOREST LAWS." THE LAWS PROHIBITED HUNTING OR EVEN TRESPASSING ON NOBLE'S LANDS. PENALTIES INCLUDED THE LOSS OF AN EYE OR HAND. IN ADDITION, THE POSSESSION OF THE GREYHOUNDS WAS LIMITED TO ROYALTY.
· MANY ROYALS ENJOYED THE COMPANY OF THEIR GREYHOUNDS. AT ONE POINT, CHARLAMANGE, KING OF FRANCE, BECAME INCENSED WHEN NOBLES BEGAN BRINGING THEIR HOUNDS TO CHURCH. THE KING BANNED THE DOGS, SO NOBLES CAME TO THE ENTRANCE OF THE CHURCH WITH THEIR BELOVED DOGS, BUT DID NOT ENTER. AS A COMPROMISE, THE PRIESTS AT THE END OF MASS WOULD THEN GO THE ENTRANCE OF THE CHURCH TO BLESS THE NOBLES. THUS BEGAN THE CUSTOM OF THE BENEDICTION.
· IN SOUTH WALES, HOWEL THE GOOD MADE A LAW DECLARING THE PUNISHMENT FOR THE KILLING OF GREYHOUND THE SAME AS FOR A PERSON: EXECUTION.
· IN 1304, THE WIFE OF ROBERT THE BRUCE WAS JAILED WHEN HE WAS CHARGED WITH TREASON. SHE WAS ALLOWED THREE GREYHOUNDS AND A SERVANT IN HER CELL.
· JEAN III, THE DUKE OF BRITTANY, WAS LOOKING FOR A HUSBAND FOR HIS NIECE, HE ALLOWED THE YOUNG WOMAN'S GREYHOUND, YOLANDE, TO CHOOSE THE MAN WHO WOULD BE HIS SUCCESSOR.
The Greyhound Guild
Want to play “dress up” while helping spread
the word about retired racing greyhounds?
The Greyhound Guild is here to support & promote the adoption of retired racing greyhounds.
To that end, we are always looking for other like-minded volunteers to help spread the word.
No Renaissance clothing in your closet? Not to worry. The Guild can outfit you -or-
if you want to provide your own garb, our Costume Advisory Council can help.
If interested in helping or if you have questions:
Anna Brown 623-261-0983
Check us out on Facebook
NOTE: Greyhound ownership is NOT a requirement!
The hounds of the Greyhound Guild are special guests at all of these events. If you would be interested in joining us at these types of events, please contact:
Lord of the Hounds,
Master of the Hunt,
at email@example.com .
Offers Medieval and Renaissance clothing for adults and kids.
Perfect for upcoming faires or Halloween.
Rated #1 Renaissance Clothing And Medieval Clothing Source With The Widest Selections Of
Tudor Clothes, Medieval Clothes And Renaissance Dresses For Sale on the Internet
Enchantments - Where Metal & Magick Meet
Specializing in Celtic Jewelry, Pagan Jewelry, Wiccan Jewelry, and Renaissance Jewelry, Charms & Pendants in over 3,500 Styles in Sterling Silver & 14k Gold.